Insomnia. It has returned with a vengeance and it looks like it’s in for the long haul (3 days and counting). This unwelcome guest visits me several times a year and swiftly drives me over the edge. A short trip, admittedly, but I’d rather get there in my own time.
I’ve tried working when I can’t sleep. Sometimes it helps. Most times I end up being bored out of my skull but still no closer to unconsciousness than before. Oh – and all that garbage about chamomile tea is just a lot of marketing smoke and mirrors. Maybe if you smoke it…
Things to do when you have insomnia:
- Stare at the ceiling and think, “Damn! I have insomnia”. Repeat as necessary.
- Head to the study and choose a CD at random.
- Listen to Mozart’s ‘Requiem’ four times in a row.
- Re-arrange your CD collection alphabetically, numerically and then by colour (while listening to Mozart’s ‘Requiem’ four times in a row).
- Re-arrange the neighbour’s pot-plants by moonlight while humming ‘Dies Irae’ from Mozart’s ‘Requiem’.
- Curse Mozart and Sussmayr repeatedly until the sun comes up.
- Have breakfast.